Come to Tallahassee
Make plans now to join us in Tallahassee for a day or two during the session that commences on March 5th and runs until May 3rd. Use the link to sign up for the days you will be here. On the calendar, you can also sign up to sponsor a lunch.
Volunteer Lobbying and How you can get involved:
Each session FJA is inundated with bills restricting or eliminating the rights of your clients. We cannot do it alone -- the FJA needs reinforcement from our members. Members of the FJA Board of Directors volunteer their time to come to Tallahassee during the legislative sessions and interim committee weeks to lobby legislators, those they know and those they don’t know, on issues of vital importance. All FJA members are invited and encouraged to join the lobbying ranks. On the job training - no experience is necessary!
When you come to Tallahassee:
• You will be briefed when you come to Tallahassee on the important issues we are working on, including pro-active and defensive legislation and given your assignments for the day.
• First time volunteers will be paired up with an FJA lobbyist, staff person, or an FJA member who already “knows the ropes” to work alongside for the day.
• Each member volunteer will receive the appropriate position papers, bills, amendments, and House and Senate directories so you can identify the legislators and find their offices.
• Volunteer lobbyists may also be called upon to draft amendments, position papers and talking points while in Tallahassee, as well as reviewing legislation which may affect FJA members and their clients.
• Volunteer members may be asked to monitor committee meetings and House or Senate floor action to ensure we know what is taking place at all times.
• If needed, some volunteer lobbyists may even testify before House or Senate committees.
The 2013 Legislative Session is scheduled for March 5 - May 3
Mentor/Partner a Member: If you consider yourself a “veteran” lobbyist, please consider inviting another board member to come to Tallahassee with you. You can mentor this member and show them the ins & outs of lobbying. If you have not been to Tallahassee before and would like to learn from a fellow board member, please ask a member of the board when they will be in the capital and plan your schedule accordingly.
Please Note: Due to the unpredictable nature of the Legislature, we cannot guarantee that your time will be fully occupied at all times. Please feel free to bring office work; the FJA boardroom has wireless internet access and computers for you to access email.